Tuesday, December 17, 2013

ADVICE FOR A 14-YEAR-OLD ME

My niece will be turning 14 this week and we had her birthday party on Sunday. I initially bought her a book of advice on growing up as a woman, but then I feared it may come across as too preachy and took it back (opting instead for a shirt from Anthropologie). Anyway, it got me thinking of what advice I wish that the current me could have given to the 14-year-old me. So here are just a few things I wish that I could tell 14-year-old Melissa:

  • Spend less time worrying about how you look and more time focusing on developing who you are. 
  • Give people a chance. Probably the most interesting people at your school are the ones that you're ignoring because they aren't "cool" enough.
  • Don't be afraid of trying new things because you are afraid that you won't be good at them. How will you ever know if you don't try?
  • Focus less on what other people THINK should make you happy and much more on what ACTUALLY makes you happy.
  • Stop pretending to like stuff that you don't really like because your friends do. It's a huge waste of time and energy. 
  • Be nicer. Just in general, be much nicer!
  • Don't be in such a hurry to grow up. Enjoy this time! 
  • It's ok to make mistakes - just learn from them. Oh and try not to repeat them.
  • And, finally, find something you are good at and pursue it - whatever it may be. You have your own unique talents and interests and it doesn't matter if they make sense to anyone else. 

I'm sure 14-year-old me wouldn't have appreciated it, but there you have it...

4 comments:

  1. this is sweet- you should give it to her!
    so true that we should have known those things, but i guess figuring them out is all part of growing up! :)
    xo

    the well-traveled wife ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. This advice is really beautiful and I think it applies to all ages and both sexes. The boys are very lucky with the parents and extended family they have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, very nice, Hon. You are wise well beyond your years. :) I agree with Emi--find some cool parchment paper, write it and make it a scroll, and pass it along! Ri will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful advice my sweet daughter. You had a few rough edges for awhile, but you sure turned out be the nicest person ever. Always be kind to yourself, you're one of the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!